I recently faced a situation that challenged my faith.
I felt like God didn’t have my back. I felt disappointed. A friend or two – ok….maybe pretty much everyone who I complained to – mentioned that perhaps God was testing me to see what was really in my heart. Sort of like a Deuteronomy 8 thing: “And He humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.” [verse 3]
The words hit home.
Your test might not look anything like my test, but when it comes to God and His ways, the test never unfolds exactly how we think it should. Typically, God’s tests usually come when we’re smack dab stuck in the middle of the wilderness with no easy way out.
If you feel like you’re in the wilderness right now, maybe God is simply testing you. I’ve compiled 10 thoughts about the tests that we face, meant to strengthen our faith. How might God be testing you right now?
- The test of your faith comes in your lack
- The test of your joy comes with your loss
- The test of your humility comes when you’re unjustly treated
- The test of your surrender comes when you lose what you love the most
- The test of your contentment comes when others get the one thing you want
- The test of your endurance comes when you’re given the chance to quit
- The test of your intimacy with God comes when you feel lonely
- The test of your purity comes when you think no one will ever find out
- The test of your love for money comes when you can get it bigger
- The test of your generosity comes right after you’ve given more than you needed to
- The test of your forgiveness comes when you’re wounded
- The test of your faithfulness comes in the mundane
Get this: In every single test that Jesus faced He overcame it with the power of God’s word.
Your weapon to make it through any test has always been and will always be God’s word. Wield it often and wield it well and watch God walk you straight through your wilderness.
The following blog post by Bible teacher and physician, Lina AbuJamra, appeared on her blog www.livingwithpower.org on Sept. 11, 2015. Lina was the keynote speaker at the 2015 First Free Women’s Retreat.