As our nation prepares to turn a page Wednesday, let us as a church family turn to God. Here are a few Scripture passages and prayer points.
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people.” –1 Timothy 2:1-6
Pray for Our Political Leaders
- For our national leaders, incoming and outgoing, that they will clearly see God’s love for them.
- God’s guidance, wisdom, peace and protection for our new president, Joe Biden; our new vice president, Kamala Harris; their families; and the thousands of people who will be part of this new administration.
- God’s guidance, wisdom, peace and protection for our outgoing president, Donald Trump, vice president Mike Pence and their families.
- God’s guidance, wisdom, peace and protection for our Congress and our state leaders.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. –2 Chronicles 7:14
Pray for Healing
- For a divided and hurting nation.
- For a divided and hurting Church.
- For divided and hurting families.
- For humility, truth, forgiveness and reconciliation.
- For our Christian witness to a hurting world.
Pray for Peace
- For God to thwart any plans for violence this week and beyond.
- To protect those who are protecting others.
- Also pray for those who seek violence, that the peace of Christ will rule in their hearts and turn them away from evil.
Pray for Health
- Wisdom for our new president and his administration in addressing the pandemic.
- For vaccines to work.
- For the numbers of deaths and illnesses to reduce sharply in the coming days and weeks.
- For spiritual, emotional and economic protection for those who have been so impacted by the pandemic.
- For perseverance.
Pray for Perspective
- That everything we do, say and think is from a kingdom perspective.
- That nothing, politics included, will keep others from seeing the hope of Christ in us.
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way. —Ephesians 1:17-23