Week 3: Mark 13:32-37
Life Group Questions:
- Pastor Luke gave us some history on the temple. What would that building have meant to the disciples?
- In verse 4, we see the disciples asking questions about the end times. What are those questions and have you yourself asked them? What is Jesus’ response to those questions?
- Read Luke 2:52 and Mark 4:32. Jesus showed us what it means to be fully human and fully God at the same time. Have you ever tried to wrap your mind around the fact that Jesus was fully God and fully human? How would you explain this mystery to another?
- Pastor Luke share the practical ways in which Jesus was fully God and fully human. How did that list bolster your faith? (listed on back)
- As we as believers live in the in-between before Jesus returns, (verse 35-37) how can we prepare? What can you do this week?
- How would you live differently today if you knew Jesus were coming back tonight?
- How can you continue to invest your time, energy and resources into the kingdom of God?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
As Jesus was leaving the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!” 2 “Do you see all these great buildings?” replied Jesus. “Not one stone here will be left on another; everyone will be thrown down.” 3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John and Andrew asked him privately, 4 “Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are all about to be fulfilled?” Mark 13:1-4
32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Mark 13:32
- Because he was the son of man, he could become hungry; but because he was the Son of God he fed the 5,000.
- Because he was the son of man, he would get thirsty; but because he was the Son of God, he could turn water into wine.
- Because he was the son of man, he grew weary; but because he was the Son of God, he raised the dead.
- As the son of man he would have celebrated his birthdays; but as the Son of God he could say, “I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.”
- Because he was the son of man, he did not know the day or the hour of his return; but because he was the Son of God he promised he would return on the clouds with power and great glory.
33 Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. 34 It’s like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with their assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch. 35 “Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36 If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping.37 What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’” Mark 13:33-37
SPIRITUAL READINESS FOR CHRIST’S RETURN
- SPIRITUAL READINESS
- MISSIONAL URGENCY
- POWER TO FORGIVE