FAMILY MATTERS – Week 1
Ephesians 5:19-20; 4:20-24; 4:11-16
Life Group Questions:
- What is our church’s 3 core marks of the disciple making process? (hint: we worship, learn and serve together)
- How are you worshiping God with your whole self, and not just with musical worship?
- How are you actively learning about Christ?
- Where do my family and I need to get more involved in the family at First Free Rockford?
- What are some ways that I can use my spiritual gifts at First Free Rockford?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
KEY THOUGHT: THE BODY OF CHRIST: WORSHIPS, LEARNS, AND SERVES TOGETHER.
1) WORSHIP TOGETHER (Ephesians 5:19-20)
19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ – Ephesians 5:19-20
2) LEARN TOGETHER (Ephesians 4:20-24)
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds ; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. – Ephesians 4:20-24
- “Take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ…” 2 Corinthians 10:5
- “Do not be conformed…be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2
- “…For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
3) SERVE TOGETHER (Ephesians 4:11-16)
11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. – Ephesians 4:11-16