ONE HIT WONDERS
Life Group Questions
- What is keeping you busy in your life?
- Are you more task oriented or people oriented? Would you say Jesus has a preference?
- In verse 42, what does Jesus say about Mary?
- How would you respond to this saying, “busyness equals faithfulness?”
- In what ways do you see fear driving Martha to busyness?
- Have you ever replaced a relationship WITH God for trying to earn approval through busyness FOR God?
- How can you implement rest and a time of pause in your week so that you can hear from God?
- Pastor Luke gave a few practical ideas to implement. What are you going to do this week?
Sermon Notes and Scripture
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” 41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” – Luke 10:38-42
Here’s the MYTH He shatters: Busyness = faithfulness
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. – Proverbs 3:5-6
1 Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. 2 In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—for he grants sleep to those he loves. – Psalm 127:1-2
THE QUESTION IS NOT, “WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE? “THE QUESTION IS: WHAT DOES HE WANT ME TO DO?”
he grants sleep to those he loves. – Psalm 127:2b
- REFUSE TO WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW!
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength… 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:13,19
- CREATE SOME MARGIN!
- OBSERVE THE SABBATHS.
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to learn wisdom! – Psalm 90:12
- If I looked at my calendar, what would it show me that I prized and pursued most?
- What is God calling me to do?