Week 1: Genesis 6:9-22
Life Group Questions:
- What is the greatest adventure you’ve ever had in your life?
- Is there something extraordinary that God is calling you to be a part of?
- How has your faith set you apart from the crowd?
- Why did God give Noah such exact instructions? (Verses 14-22)
- When was the last time you were willing to go against common law or logic to listen and respond to the voice of God?
- In what ways is God asking you to step into uncharted territory with Him? OR leading you to a place you have never been before?
- Noah walked with God and obeyed Him, and because of that, God made a covenant that we still have today. Read Genesis 9:8-17. How does this show how significant obedience is to God?
- How can our life group pray for you this week?
Sermon Notes and Scripture
FOLLOWING GOD’S MAP WILL…
- SET YOU APART FROM THE CROWD.
8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. 9 This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth. 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. Genesis 6:8-13
- POSITION US TO BETTER HEAR AND RESPOND TO THE VOICE OF GOD.
14 So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high. 16 Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit high all around. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.” Genesis 6:14-21
7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith. Hebrews 11:7
22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him. Genesis 6:22
- CAN HELP BRING SALVATION TO OTHERS.
12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” Genesis 9:12-17