Week 3: Joshua 1:1-9
Life Group Questions:
- Where has God asked you to “burn your map” so you can follow Him where you have not been?
- How do you think Joshua’s preparation under Moses’ leadership prepared him for what God is asking him to do in Joshua 1:1-9?
- Pastor Luke said, “Don’t ever give up what is unique to you for something someone else will do.” What are those areas of your life?
- Read verse 5, what is God trying to point out to Joshua?
- When God repeats a theme in Scripture, we know we need to pay attention. In verses, 6, 7 and 9, God tells Joshua to be strong and courageous. Do you see the pattern here as to what God was calling him to?
- Read verse 9. We see that God promises Joshua that He will be with him in what He is calling him to. When you read that and think about the areas where God is calling you into uncharted territory, does that give you courage? Does it build your faith to follow Him?
- Read verses 7-8. What part does Scripture play in Joshua’s obedience?
- How has Scripture lead you to obedience (not perfection) even this week?
- What area of your life is God calling you to be strong and courageous?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
FOLLOWING GOD WHERE I HAVE NOT YET BEEN
THE MYTH: YOU CANNOT LEAD PEOPLE TO WHERE YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY BEEN.
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. – Joshua 1:1-2a
DON’T EVER GIVE UP WHAT IS UNIQUE TO YOU FOR SOMETHING SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO.
THE TRUTH: GOD LEADS PEOPLE TO WHERE HE ALREADY IS.
Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. 5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. – Joshua 1:2b-6
SUCCESS IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE FOCUSES ON OBEDIENCE, NOT PERFECTION.
7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:7-9