1 HIT WONDERS – Week 2
Life Group Questions:
- Have you ever wondered why the disciples dropped everything and followed Jesus? Why do suppose they did?
- What did you learn about Hebrew schooling and learning?
- How does your perspective of the calling of the disciples change when you know the background of Hebrew schooling and the fact that they were fishermen?
- How have you seen God choose “the willing?” How does that encourage you?
- How have you made yourself available to what God has asked you to do?
- Is there something that Jesus has been calling you to drop so you can be with Him?
- What does this passage reveal about the heart of Jesus?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him. 21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.
Psalm 119:103 says: “how sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth.”
“because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.” – Matthew 7:29
BEING A MATTHEW 4 DISCIPLE:
- JESUS DOESN’T CHOOSE THE BEST, HE CHOOSES THE WILLING.
“God skipped all the wise that day! The great scholars were in Egypt; the great library was in Alexandria; the great philosophers were in Athens; the powerful were in Rome. He passed over Herodotus the historian and Socrates the great thinker and Julius Caesar. He chose men so ordinary it was comical. No Rabbis, no teaches, no religious experts, not even… a synagogue ruler! Half were fisherman, one was essentially an IRS agent, and one was a former terrorist.” – John MacArthur
- HE CHOSE US, NOT WE HIM.
“16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. – John 15:16
- JESUS WANTS US TO BE WITH HIM.
“Follow me.” (vs.19)
- FOLLOWING JESUS MEANS THAT HE IS THE CENTER OF OUR LIVES.