Part 3: Matthew 14:22-32
Life Group Questions:
- When was the last time you felt stuck in your relationship with God?
- How do we measure success in the Christian life? In what area is God calling you to be obedient right now?
- Talk about this quote: “if it is a result of obedience to Christ’s command that the church or the individual Christian is in a situation of danger or distress then there is no need to fear. – C.E.B. Carnfield.
- Read Exodus 3:14 and John 14:27. What do you think Jesus is trying to communicate to the disciples?
- How have you viewed Peter in the past? How has your image of him changed this week?
- What did God teach you through Peter’s obedience to get out of the boat?
- Pastor Luke said that Jesus is high invitation and high challenge. How have you seen that in your family or in your life?
- What small steps of obedience do you need to take that you haven’t taken because of fear?
- What area of your life have you been more concerned with perfection rather than obedience?
Sermon notes and Scripture:
WHEN FEAR AND FAITH COLLIDE
22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. – Matthew 14:22-24
- FAITH CAN BE IMPACTED BY OUR BOAT AND THE STORM.
14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself. – John 6:14-15
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” – Matthew 14:25-27
- FAITH ISN’T BEING CRAZY; IT BEING CALLED.
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said. – Matthew 14:28-29a
- FAITH ISN’T THE ABSENCE OF FEAR; IT’S OBEDIENCE DESPITE THE FEAR.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. – Matthew 14:29b
30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” – Matthew 14:30-32
SUCCESS IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE IS OBEDIENCE, NOT PERFECTION.