Week 3: John 14:1-14
Life Group Questions:
- Are you walking through a difficult season right now? How can our group pray for you?
- In what ways are you seeing Jesus work in your life?
- As you walk through difficult times in your life, how does your perspective on eternity change your outlook on your current situation?
- How does the passage we studied this week set Christianity apart from all other religions?
- Why is it so crucial to understand who Jesus is?
- Is there a truth from the Scripture we studied this week that you need to apply?
- Where in your life do you need to allow Jesus to meet you?
- How are you living each day with a different destiny in mind?
Sermon Notes and Scripture
36 Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.” 37 Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” 38 Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times! – John 13:36-38
TRUTH FOR THE TROUBLED HEART
- JESUS ALLOWS US TO LIVE TODAY WITH A DIFFERENT DESTINY IN MIND.
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” – John 14:1-4
- JESUS LEADS US WHERE WE CANNOT TAKE OURSELVES.
5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” – John 14:5-7
- JESUS IS GOD WITH US.
8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. – John 14:8-11
- JESUS INVITES US TO BE A PART OF HIS WORK.
12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. – John 14:12-14