Week 5: John 11:25; John 11:1-4
Life Group Questions
- As we close out the I AM series, which statement has had the most impact on you? Why?
- What did Jesus mean by His statement in John 11:4?
- Pastor Luke said that God is not afraid of our doubts and questions, but rather uses them to take us deeper in our walk with Him. Are there doubts you need to work through right now?
- Have you ever felt like Mary and Martha did in verse 21? Is there a situation in your life where you feel like God is delaying and you are struggling in the way they did?
- Read verse 26. “Do you believe this?”
- What do the I AM statements of Jesus reveal about the heart of God?
- What area of your life do you need to turn to the Resurrection and the Life?
Sermon Notes and Scripture
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; – John 11:25
Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha… 3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.” 4 When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” – John 11:1-4
THREE WAYS WE MAY BE DYING ON THE INSIDE:
1) DEAD IN YOUR DOUBTS (Thomas)
16 Then Thomas (also known as Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” – John 11:16
2) DEAD IN YOUR DISCOURAGEMENT (Mary)
20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home. – John 11:20
3) DEAD IN THE DELAY (Martha)
17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days … 21 “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. – John 17, 21
22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.” – John 11:22
23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?” – John 11:23-26
THE RESURRECTION IS NOT ONLY AN EVENT – THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE IS JESUS!
43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” – John 11:43-44