Week 1: Mark 8:27-38
LIFE GROUP QUESTIONS
- Who has set a good example of generosity for you? What did that look like?
- In terms of generosity, how can you shift your mindset to focus in the things of God rather than on human concerns?
- In what ways are you more concerned for yourself than what God is up to?
- How are you sacrificing the ultimate for the immediate?
- Look at Mark 8:34-38. How do these verses stand in juxtaposition to what our American culture is?
- What does this passage look like for you to live? How is it convicting you to live for Christ?
- Is there a way you need to put God’s kingdom before your kingdom?
- How do you nourish and be sure that your soul is filled with Jesus rather than the things of this world?
THE IDEA OF TWO-KINGDOM LIVING
27 Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, “Who do people say I am?” 28 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.” 29 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.” 30 Jesus warned them not to tell anyone about him. – Mark 8:27-30
31 He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” – Mark 8:31-33
FOLLOWING JESUS IS ABOUT SURRENDERING MY KINGDOM FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF HIS KINGDOM.
34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. – Mark 8:34
WE DISCOVER OUR REAL PURPOSE IN LIVING WHEN WE GIVE OUR LIVES TO JESUS.
35 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” – Mark 8:35