Week 3: II Corinthians 9:6-15
Life Group Questions
- As you grew up, how was money handled in your home?
- What were you taught about money in your formative years?
- In the passage we studied this week in 2 Corinthians, what did God teach you about money and His expectations for you?
- What does this passage teach about His character?
- Read verse 8. In what ways are you seeing God supply all that you need right now?
- How have you seen God work through your family’s generosity?
- How would you describe how God’s call to generosity leads to glorifying Him?
- What action step are you taking this week?
Sermon Notes and Scripture
6 PRINCIPLES OF BIBLICAL GENEROSITY
- GENEROSITY IS A LIFE PRINCIPLE, IT IMPACTS ALL OF LIFE.
6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. – 2 Corinthians 9:6
- GENEROSITY MANAGES THE TENSION BETWEEN A BIBLICAL MANDATE AND MY FREEWILL.
7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. – 2 Corinthians 9:7
- GENEROSITY IS AN ACT OF GIVING BACK TO GOD WHAT HE ALREADY OWNS.
8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.9 As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” – 2 Corinthians 9:8-9
- GENEROSITY PROMPTS GOD TO INCREASE OUR OPPORTUNITY FOR GENEROSITY.
10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. – 2 Corinthians 9:10
- GENEROSITY GLORIFIES GOD.
11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. 12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. 13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. – 2 Corinthians 9:11-13
- GENEROSITY IS A REFLECTION OF GOD’S CHARACTER.
14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! – 2 Corinthians 9:14-15
- EMERGING generosity – You contribute. You give something. You aren’t just a taker. You’re a giver. You want to be involved.
- FIRST FRUITS generosity – You joyfully and consistently set aside the first portion of your income for the Lord and his work.
- COURAGEOUS generosity – You are willing to be stretched beyond firstfruits. You respond to opportunities to be sacrificial and impactful.
- BOUNDLESS generosity – You actively seek out opportunities to be even more generous. You ask God to remove all barriers for maximum kingdom advancement.
WAYS THAT PEOPLE CAN GIVE AT THE CHURCH
- Text to give
- Offering Plate
- First Free Rockford App