HOPE HAS A NAME
Week 2: Isaiah 9:6-7
Life Group Questions
- Can you think of an example of a father sacrificing for his kids? If you are a father, share an example of a time you had to step in and sacrifice for you kids.
- How has your relationship with your earthly father shaped your relationship with your Heavenly Father?
- Pastor Luke shared four different types of fathers. Did any of them resonate with how you picture your Heavenly Father? How so?
- How can you be praying for your earthly father this week? In what ways does he need your prayers?
- How has Jesus been like the everlasting Father in your life? Please share an example.
- Is there someone you need to pursue this week in the same way that Jesus is pursuing you? Who is it?
Sermon Notes and Scriptures
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” – Isaiah 9:6
- THE NEVER-SATISFIED DAD.
“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! – Isaiah 49:15
7 The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.” – Zephaniah 3:17
- THE TIME-BOMB DAD.
8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious; slow to anger, abounding in love. – Psalm 103:8
- THE EMOTIONALLY DISTANT DAD.
20 So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. – Luke 15:20
- THE ABSENT DAD.
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” – Matthew 28:20