DO NOT BE AFRAID – Week 2
Life Group Questions:
- Have you invited anyone to attend Christmas Traditions with you? Are they joining you? Please spend some time as a group praying for this event.
- Have you ever been afraid of something God has asked you to do? What was it? How did you respond?
- Why do you think we are so afraid to do what God asks us to do?
- What did you learn about Jesus’ birth from Mary’s life and perspective?
- How is God asking you to be obedient this Christmas season?
- What plans have you been hanging onto that you need to surrender to the Lord?
- As you close, read Luke 1:37 together as a group.
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
WHY ARE WE AFRAID OF WHAT GOD ASKS US TO DO?
- GOD DOESN’T WORK ACCORDING TO OUR SCHEDULE. (Luke 1:26-29)
26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. Luke 1:26-30
- GOD’S PLANS ARE OFTEN DIFFERENT THAN OUR OWN. (Luke 1:31-33)
31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.” 34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.” Luke 1:31-37
HOW DO WE RESPOND?
REMEMBER: OBEDIENCE IS OUR JOB, THE IMPOSSIBLE IS GOD’S
“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her. Luke 1:38