Week 1: Galatians 1:1-10
Life Group Questions
- What is your favorite letter you’ve ever received? What was the content in the letter? Who was it from?
- How does your perspective on the book of Galatians change when you read it as a letter and in one sitting?
- In what ways do you struggle and mix up the implications of the gospel with the gospel itself? (Galatians 1:6-7)
- Read Galatians 1:10. In what areas of your life are you more concerned about pleasing people rather than God?
- How can your life group pray for you this week?
Sermon Notes and Scripture
Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— 2 and all the brothers and sisters with me, 3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. – Galatians 1:1-5
- He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” – Romans 8:32
- And live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” – Ephesians 5:2
- Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” – Ephesians 5:25
- [Christ] gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.” – 1 Timothy 2:6
- DON’T MIX UP THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE GOSPEL WITH THE GOSPEL ITSELF.
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. – Galatians 1:6-7
- A LIFE THAT IS LIVED IN THE FREEDOM OF JESUS LIVES TO PLEASE GOD RATHER THAN PEOPLE.
8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!
10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. – Galatians 1:8-10