Stephen Ministry is a ministry of Christian Care Giving where trained lay people come alongside people who are experiencing a crisis in their lives by lending a listening ear, offering encouragement, prayer and support. Loving care is extended until the person is able to experience the healing of Christ in his or her life. If you would like to have a Stephen Minister to walk beside you as you go through a difficult time, contact the Caring Ministries Office via e-mail or call our office at (815) 877-7046.
Printed Stories about Stephen Ministry in Action
Here are additional Stephen Ministry stories (PDF format) that you can print and share with others in your congregation.
- “I Began to Feel God’s Love Again”—A young woman describes how her caring relationship with her Stephen Minister allowed her to experience Jesus in a personal, tangible, life-transforming way.
- “I’m So Grateful for Stephen Ministry!”—A man shares how he and his Stephen Minister built a high-trust relationship, apart from his regular circle of friends, so that he could move forward through a tough time in his life.
- “Stephen Ministry: Helping Dad Hang on during a Personal Earthquake”—A story about a father who received care from a Stephen Minister while grieving the death of his infant son.
- “On the Front Lines of Care”—The story of an Army captain who lost his foot in an explosion in Iraq, trained as a Stephen Minister, and later returned to Iraq better equipped to care for the soldiers under his command.
- “Stephen Ministers Helping People Get Back on Track”—Stephen Ministers are frequently involved in ministering to entire communities following a disaster. This newspaper article describes how Stephen Ministers cared for people throughout Joplin, Missouri, after a tornado devastated the city.