JESUS + nothing
Week 6: Colossians 3:12-17
Life Group Questions:
- Since your life in Christ began, how have you chosen to love others differently than you did before?
- Read Pastor Luke’s description of the attributes of love under point one. Is there anything you would add to those descriptions?
- Share specific examples of how you think differently now as a believer?
- Read Colossians 3:15-16 and look at how Scripture tells us to think differently.
- How can we make sure the Word of God dwells richly in our hearts? What do you need to do this week to make sure that happens?
- After someone is done interacting with you, via face-to-face, phone call, social media, etc. Do they feel as if they have met or interacted with someone that is a follower of Jesus?
- How can you become better at “bearing with” others and forgiving others (3:13)?
- Letting Christ rule means framing our desires and actions with Him in mind. What areas of my private/public life are not ruled by Christ?
- What has impacted you most about this series in Colossians, Jesus + Nothing?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
THREE WAYS WE ARE DIFFERENT BECAUSE OF OUR NEW LIFE IN CHRIST:
- I LOVE DIFFERENTLY.
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. – Colossians 3:12-14
- Compassion = Getting in their shoes.
- Kindness = Treating them better than they deserve.
- Humility = Accepting the lesser role.
- Gentleness = Holding back – opposite of harsh.
- Patience = Putting up with more than I should.
- I THINK DIFFERENTLY.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. – Colossians 3:15-16
- I LIVE DIFFERENTLY.
17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. – Colossians 3:17