FAMILY MATTERS – Week 2
Life Group Questions:
- What do you love most about living in the Rockford area?
- Can you articulate the mission of First Free Rockford? Why is it so important that we know it?
- Read aloud Matthew 5:13-16 as a group. How can you practically live as salt and light in our city this week?
- Pastor Luke said that the church should be a hospital for the sick and not a museum for the saints. What is the difference?
- Our testimony should be obvious, not hidden and in secret. Who are you sharing your testimony with?
- What is the motivation for good deeds? (Matthew 5:16)
- Read Philippians 2:13-16 as a group. How do these verses tie into our mission as believers?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
KEY THOUGHT: First Free Rockford Exists… To bring people into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
LIVING ON MISSION: A CHRISTIAN’S INFLUENCE + A CHRISTIAN’S TESTIMONY = REFLECTING THE GLORY OF GOD.
1) A CHRISTIAN’S INFLUENCE (Salt Witnessing). (Matthew 5:13)
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. – Matthew 5:13
“5 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity (YOUR INFLUENCE). 6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” – Colossians 4:5-6
2) + A CHRISTIAN’S TESTIMONY (Light). (Matthew 5:14-15)
TESTIMONY – open declaration or profession of faith.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. – Matthew 5:14-15
3) = REFLECTING THE GLORY OF GOD. (Matthew 5:16)
16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. – Matthew 5:16
“13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. 14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the universe 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.” – Philippians 2:13-16