JESUS + nothing
Week 1: Colossians 1:1-14
Life Group Questions:
- Pastor Luke shared that we are a society that is often catered to. To show this is true, have everyone from your life group share their Starbucks order.
- What did you learn about the city of Colossae, the church located there, and the false religions that were indoctrinating the people that you didn’t know before?
- Are there ideas you have added to the gospel, rather than the gospel being Jesus + nothing?
- Where do you find yourself manufacturing hope rather than turning to Jesus?
- Where do you find yourself trying to change the character or message of Christ to make him more likable or acceptable to our culture?
- If Paul wrote a letter to our church, what would he be addressing?
- How can our life group pray for you this week?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2 To God’s holy people in Colossae, the faithful brothers and sisters in Christ: Grace and peace to you from God our Father. – Colossians 1:1-2
KEEPING THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING:
- FAITH AND LOVE ARE AN OUTPOURING OF THE HOPE WE HAVE IN JESUS.
3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people— 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel. – Colossians 1:3-5
- THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL IS ROOTED IN THE GRACE OF GOD.
6 that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace. 7 You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, 8 and who also told us of your love in the Spirit. – Colossians 1:6-8
- THROUGH JESUS, WE HAVE BEEN SET FREE AND RESCUED FROM DARKNESS.
9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, 10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 12 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. 13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. – Colossians 1:9-14