JESUS + nothing
Week 2: Colossians 1:15-23
Life Group Questions:
- Have you ever known someone who struggled with the fact that Jesus is the perfect and complete image of God?
- Have you ever struggled with it?
- Read Colossians 1:16-18. What do we see to be true about Jesus that proves He is God? Take some time to talk through each one of those characteristics.
- Why does it matter so much that we understand and live in accordance with who Jesus is?
- Pastor Luke said, “You cannot afford to have a single thought about yourself that God doesn’t have about you.” Refer to Psalm 139 to see how God thinks about you.
- In what ways are you complicating the gospel in your life, making it more than Jesus + nothing?
- Read Colossians 1:23. How do you make sure you DO NOT MOVE from the truth of the gospel?
- How would your life look different if you fully embraced Jesus as the one in charge of your life?
- What are some ways that you can stand firm in the true message of the gospel?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
WHO JESUS IS:
JESUS IS THE PERFECT AND COMPLETE IMAGE OF GOD.
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. Colossians 1:15-16
“for you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13
17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. Colossians 1:17-20
WHAT JESUS HAS DONE:
JESUS ALONE BROUGHT US BACK TO GOD.
21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. Colossians 1:21-23
DO NOT MOVE FROM THE TRUE MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL.
23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. Colossians 1:23