BEATITUDES – Week 1: Putting Our Trust in God
Matthew 5:1-3; Revelation 3:17-22
Life Group Questions:
- How would you define the “already, not yet” concept of God’s kingdom? Do you take an Eeyore or a Tigger mentality?
- Read Pastor Luke’s definition of the word blessed. How does this working definition change how you have thought of that word?
- How do you become spiritually rich? Revelation 3:17-21
- What types of temporary things do you try to fill your life with?
- What kinds of things distract you from hearing Christ knocking on the door of your life?
- What practical things can you do this week to make sure you listen more than you talk? Revelation 3:22
- What areas do I acknowledge my need of Christ?
Sermon Notes and Scripture:
1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them. He said: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. – Matthew 5:1-3
If we add all this together, we get something like this:
“A “blessed” person is someone who, because of a heart for God, is promised and enjoys God’s favor regardless of that person’s status or countercultural condition.”
BECOMING SPIRITUALLY RICH:
1) ACKNOWLEDGE: WITHOUT CHRIST, I AM SPIRITUALLY POOR.
17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. – Revelation 3:17-18
2) DON’T TRY TO FILL AN ETERNAL GAP WITH TEMPORARY TREASURES.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. 21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. – Revelation 3:19-21
3) LISTEN TWICE AS MUCH AS YOU TALK.
22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” – Revelation 3:22